The Construction Tradeswomen Career Fair Day was organized to promote interest, facilitate employment opportunities and expose prospective employees, students, employers and other stakeholders to the existing careers opportunities in the industry. By participating in the Career Fair Day, companies were able to showcase their products, services and gain access to potential new hires. Student attendees were also exposed to the practical aspect of careers in the industry, which would help influence their future career paths.
The Career Fair Day held on Saturday 23 October 2021 at The Recreational Park, Osborne Foreshore Estate Phase 1, Ikoyi, Lagos State. The activities included career management and counseling sessions, construction career booths, hands-on demonstrations and prize giving competitions.
Trained artisans were asked to display their skills via competitions where prizes were won. The competitions included the following:
- The painting artisans were to paint a board with different color without staining one color with another.
- The masonry artisans were to build a 3-layered fence.
- The carpentry artisans were to assemble a stool per team.
OBJECTIVES OF THE CAREER FAIR DAY
- Exposing women to employers of labor.
- Exposing secondary school students to the practicality of some construction activities.
- Facilitating the networking of employers and potential employees via career booths.
- Registering artisans on a skill-request platform, where they would be contacted based on the skill they possess.